What is the daily schedule?
- Daily small-group Pride (advisory) time focused on community building and sisterhood
- Live video lessons led by our wonderful team of teachers
- Students will receive a weekly class schedule that will include links to all Live Zoom Classes
- Final schedule to be released shortly pending additional input
What technology will students use?
- Free Chromebooks and hotspots/internet to all students
- Google Classroom and Zoom
- Updates for additional online learning platforms will be shared prior to the first day of school.
What are attendance expectations?
- Students will be required to attend each virtual class
- KCGPA will communicate immediately if a student is not present in a class
- Families will be asked to communicate in advance if your student is unable to attend a virtual class
What if students are absent from classes?
- All daily live lessons will be recorded and uploaded to your student’s Google Classroom
- Students will be required to make-up missed learning and assignments
What supplies does my student need?
- Families will be asked to supply their students with writing utensils, paper and a dedicated location to complete their work
- KCGPA will provide all other supplies that students will need during virtually learning
- More detailed information on distribution of technology and learning materials will be communicated soon
Will my student need a school uniform next year?
- Students will not need to wear a school uniform during remote learning
- If/when we return to in-person school we will share updates to our uniform policy
How will students get time for community and relationship building?
- Community building will occur within content lessons and daily Pride (advisory)
- Pride leaders will have biweekly 1 on 1 check-in’s with students to establish strong, positive relationships
- Students will continue to participate in Circle twice a week
- Our school Social Worker will be available to support students with social emotional needs through open office hours, 1 on 1 sessions, and small group sessions
Will my student be able to receive school breakfast and lunch?
- Yes, KCGPA will continue to provide meal boxes including 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches weekly to families
- All meals will be delivered each Monday, if school is not in session on a Monday, deliveries will occur on Tuesday
What if my student has an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or needs additional learning support?
- All student support for Exceptional Learners and/or English as a New Language Learners will be provided remotely
- IEP team meetings will happen remotely
- If requested by the family, the Manager of Student Support will facilitate meetings with parents in person
Decision-Making and Family Engagement
How did you make this reopening decision?
- Ultimately, this decision was driven by public health data and guidance
- We gathered input from public health officials, publicly available data, conversations with team members, and surveys of our families
- See our family survey data for more information
How can I contribute to decisions and planning moving forward?
- We will host monthly “Family Dinners” for families
- To sign up, please click here or contact Jahna Riley, our Family and Community Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com or 816-268-2573
What criteria are we using to decide when it’s safe to return in person?
- We use public health guidance and data relating to three questions:
- How likely is it that someone with coronavirus will be part of our school community (community spread)?
- Can we meet the CDC’s reopening criteria within our school building?
- Does our team feel safe to return in person?
- Please see our full decision criteria and current data here
What’s the timeline for revisiting this decision?
- We are planning for an 18 to 33 month “new normal”
- With incomplete data and significant risk, we aim to make slow, careful decisions
- To ensure predictability and clarity for team members and families, we will switch to in person learning only at the beginning of a quarter:
- Quarter 2 - Mon, Oct. 26
- Quarter 3 - Tues, Jan. 19
- Quarter 4 - Mon, March 22
- Families will receive notification of a return to in person learning one month in advance of a change
- Prior to switching, we will take a 5 day in-service period with no live remote learning to train staff on safety protocols and adjust curricula